Friday, March 14, 2008

ELECTION 2008: Geraldine Ferraro

For Michi (and, by extension, your professor)

By the way, I'm usually in the loop on these things and I usually get it really quick... and maybe I'm a better feminist than I am a critical race theorist (I almost wrote "racist")...

...but I don't get it.

I just had someone explain it to me... and I still don't get it.

This is the comment that she made: “If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept.”

The explanation was thus: It says that the only reason he is where he is is because he's black and he has nothing else good about him. A) I'm not entirely sure she's wrong on the fact that there's not much there in terms of what he either has done or will do. B) The race thing...

God. Is anyone surprised? Come on guys, he's the winning candidate. He's black.

There is a nail to push into the coffin here for Clinton's campaign. Did you think that, maybe, just maybe, somone wouldn't try this ... playing Clinton's campaign off as racist???

Remember, there was a few weeks ago when we tried to throw Clinton under the bus because she cried. It was too... feminine.

This, at this point, is just mudslinging. Let's call a spade a spade.

What's really funny is the commentators on the news that are like: Um, yea, I know we really attack Clinton a lot, and we feel kinda bad for it, but we're going to do it again.

PS Also, this is the comment I left over at the Every man is guilty... blog

I still don't get it.

I think we WANT this to be about race and gender. We WANTED this to happen. We were looking for SOMETHING. We were grasping for it. We were begging for it. How many times have you found yourself drooling and holding your breath before one of them speaks...

...waiting for b**** or n***** to fly out of one of their mouths???

No comments: