Wednesday, November 28, 2007

FAGWATCH: Part 2

I was called a fag again!!!

Again, by a lesbian.

There's this girl at this bar who once came up behind me at that bar (ok, Little Bit Bar... we'll call it LBB) and slapped me upside the head REALLY HARD and said "Hey!!!" I got upset and she tried to make amends for months and months and we then had this pretty laid back and tense friendship.

So LM and I went to LBB on Saturday night to see whether or not we would enjoy the crowd. I saw this girl, and we were chatting, and then, suddenly she slaps me up side the head. I hit her back, she jumps out of her chair, puts me in a head lock and calls me a fag. Someone finally pulls her off of me, and she sits down muttering "faggot" over and over and over again.

She claims that I hit her first, but no one around me saw me strike.

Who knows? Anyways, another reason FAG should be out of my vocabulary, because lesbians think it's cool to dis gay men.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I don't like the word "fag" either and never use it... That said, I have talked about "fag hags" but I am usually referring to straight women who call themselves that, and in a similar vein, I don't like it. I've seen too many of my gay guy friends treated differently *just* because they're gay. It makes me wonder if these women like them because they're gay, or because of the people they are. I've also noticed that in the presence of said girls, my gay friends who don't act "stereotypically" will up that aspect up a notch. I always want to say, no, really, I like you for who you are and not just because you're gay!

Similarily, I've had a lot of incidences where gay men find it okay to call women "whores" or "sluts." ("Bitches" I think I am okay with.) I had a friend of mine call me a whore and I was very upset by it, and his rational was "... but I'm GAY!" as if that makes any difference to me. I was offended by the term and wanted an apology. He often likes to go on anti-women rants and say how "disgusting" the female body is, and I just... don't get it. I mean, sure, we're all different sexually, but must any of us need to bash the opposite sex/sexual attraction?

It's so hard to reclaim words. I have friends who have reclaimed "cunt" and yet they still use it as an insult of the highest degree, which seems paradoxical to me.

But as far as I'm concerned, any sort of awareness regarding the language we use is much-needed, and makes us better people. I love it when people challenge things. :)