Sunday, April 20, 2008

POP CULTURE: America's Next Top Model


America's Next Top Model. I don't know what to say about it except that I am obsessed with the damn show. (Check out this really funny blog over at the strict shenaniganist about the themes in the show... it's really funny and anyone who has watched more than one marathon will appreciate her words.)

If anyone else sits and watches the marathons they have every weekend on MTV and VH1 -- please tell me and comfort me to let me know that they are out there. For the love of God, Cycle 5 is on right now -- one which I've seen 100 or 200 times before (seriously, I've seen cycles 2-5 again and again and again... oh, and the season where Jaslene wins... I know there are two or three I haven't seen), but I'm stuck on watching it.

Why? Because some of these pictures are fierce, and some of them suck and I like to watch the stupid girls who think they rocked it out cry when they realize just how pedestrian they are.

What's sad is that I tried watching the most recent season -- Cycle 10 maybe? or are we on 9? -- and I just can't sit and watch it every week. Unlikr other reality shows that I may be interested in, I just don't care that much to be emotionally invested from week to week. In fact, it makes me feel stupid watching it every week, mainly because, one by one, the show can be summed up in one word: stupid. It's inane and silly, but as a marathon... well, I just can't keep my eyes off of it.

This is also one of those shows where you have to wonder: what the hell happens to these girls?

Per the blogosphere, and despite some anecdotal examples (Sarah VonderHaar, for example, who was the model-cum-photographer just released a CD, photographed a shoot for Forbes, amongst other things, is very successful; as is Elyse from Cycle 1), most of them kind of disappeared into oblivion. It seems, though, that a lot of them continue to model, if as a small part of their life, and rarely truly break out. But there seems to be a general concensus that the contestants try to distance themselves from reality television -- there was a show on VH1 about "where are they now" for reality TV stars and Shandi (think of the whiny crying boyfriend she cheated on) said that though she tried to model, she couldn't break off from the reality TV shackles and gave up. Sad, really. Especially since her new "passion" was karaoke.

Sorry for her.

But what's really funny about perusing the blogosphere about America's Next Top Model, some interesting things come to light about Miss Tyra -- apparently she's a big ol'bitch. Which is not surprising, I'm really tired of her talking about her career as if it is the be-all, end-all of modelling experiences (even Janice, apparently, complained that Tyra was a bit of a "tyrant" -- haha). And her little daytime talk show -- well, can we talk less about you? I'm really over her self-aggrandization. Everything she does is a publicity stunt for her.

I get it, you're a face, you have lots of money, but that doesn't make you interesting.

But, dammit, I'm missing elimination on a cycle that has been around for six years now and I've seen forty times. I must go.

Actually, as a follow-up, Wikipedia has a great list of the contestants and show some strong post-ANTM careers -- including my favorite, Toccara, and people like Jael, Eva, Anchal, Natasha, and many others. Ahh, the 100 reasons I love Wikipedia, as it also lists the 20+ other countries that have top models (including Afghanistan, Turkey, Israel, Thailand, Ghana, Aruba, and "Scandinavia" (HA!))

Oh yea, and these two men are my future husbands -- they are HOT!!!!

No comments: