Monday, August 18, 2008

POP CULTURE: Top 10 Movies of All Time

Using the same rubric to judge if I like a movie -- repeat watchability + it has to have "stuck with me" in some way -- here is the follow up to the previous blog and my favorite movies of all time...

1) Incredibles (2004) -- In short, one of my favorite movies of all time. I love cartoons, and I love superheroes. I watched this, also, first with a client and have loved it ever since. My former roommate and I bonded over it, as well. We are oft to quote Edna Mode as many times as possible in any conversation.

2) Hairspray (2007) -- Is anyone really surprised? I don't think I have to talk about it anymore than I already have. But it still makes me smile everytime I watch it.

3) Clueless (1995) -- You are not allowed to laugh. This "simple little teen movie" is actually quite intelligent and well done. Besides, ultimately, it's one of the few movies that I can pop in a watch again and again. I think that highly of it.

4) Velvet Goldmine (1998) -- This might have been able to appear on the "gay" list. It's a movie about the glam rock scene of the 1970s. Again, I love Toni Collette, but it also has Ewan McGregor (naked), Christian Bale (partially naked), and Jonathan Rhys Meyers (mostly naked). The music is amazing and the setting/costumes/general look is beautiful. I was introduced to it by a friend of mine in high school and I have watched it ever since. Also one of the first DVDs I ever bought.

5) Edward Scissorhands (1990) -- The first movie I watched when I identified a very specific artistic style -- Tim Burton's. Clearly, I had seen lots of his movies before (Batman, Beetlejuice, etc.), but when I put the pieces together and started getting into him this was the first movie I went to see specifically for the director. I was not disappointed, and the bizarre modern fairy tale left me breathless. The scene with Winona Ryder dancing in the "snow" and then her asking him to hold her (towhit he responds "I can't") are just amazing. However, it's clear that he was just beginning to define himself as a director in this one.

6) Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) -- Love, love, love this movie. Also a Tim Burton movie. Um. Don't know what to say except I remember seeing the previews when I was little and thinking "WTF," and seeing it much much later and really enjoying it.

7) Willow (1988) -- Favorite fantasy movie of all time. It's always fun to meet another person who really likes this movie and you inevitably get the shrill "Change me back, Willow!" conversation.

8) Steel Magnolias (1989) Could, also, arguably, end up on the gay list. These are these women at their best. Sally Fields was unbelievable, as was Dolly Parton. Always watch it when it's on television -- it sucks me in for the two hours its on. Just a great movie, and it always makes me cry.

9) Labyrinth (1986) and The Dark Crystal (1982) -- Jim Henson movies. I love them both and watch them with fair to moderate regularity. My mother introduced all of us to the Dark Crystal, while Bagel brought me Labyrinth. These are just movies you watch and remember how cool they were when you were kids. Sidenotes:

9a) Seriously, David Bowie is fucking awesome in Labyrinth, and this movie introduced us all to Jennifer Connelly who is beautiful and amazingly talented (and is on my list of "women to fuck if I ever got the chance").

9b) The Skeksis, to this day, give me nightmares from the Dark Crystal.

10) As Good As it Gets (1997) -- I love Helen Hunt. I don't know what else to tell you.

And the honorable mention over here goes to...

11) Requiem for a Dream (2000) -- Best way I've ever heard it described: About four people hitting rock bottom and proceeding to dig. The only reason it didn't make the official list was because I definitely can't watch it over and over again. It's something that you have to be in a very sppecific state of mind to watch... and you can't be under the influence of anything.

Yea! That's my list!!! What are yours (if you read and have a blog, or if you just wanna post).

No comments: