Monday, September 29, 2008

OHIO/CINNKY: WALK TO STOP AIDS

The WALK TO STOP AIDS was awesome this year. Thanks, much, to STOP AIDS for putting together an amazing event. I showed up hungover -- as is my usual for the Walk -- but still had a great time with a great team!

19 walked with my team this year at work -- the first time my program has ever been represented in the ten years it's been in existence. And we raised over $1300 for the cause! WHOOHOO!!!!

Some quick pictures:


Sunrising at Sawyer Point


Vice Mayor Crowley speaking to the audience


The crowd at Sawyer Point


It's not a party without the Flaggets


Hey look, it's me and Juliet from Juliet and Juliette!


My awesome, rocking team!


I don't quite get the balloon


The only non-fuzzy picture I have of the crowd, apparently


Apparently the spellcheck, though, cost money


Cheryl and Valerie cheering us at the end.


My awesome team at the end, in line for free coneys!

Two bonus pictures

Guy stealing a sign. No really. With like 1000+ people walking by.


Homeless encampment on the river...

Oh, and I posted a fun little blog about it over at Rainbow Cincinnati. Your preview...
As usual, the WALK TO STOP AIDS was a success.

I'm getting bored with the ongoing excellence and pride that STOP AIDS (formerly AVOC) takes in its crown jewel of event. Every year, it's the same old well-organized, fun event where hundreds of people show up and hundreds of thousands of dollars are raised. I'm annoyed by the free stuff I get, the competition I generate raising money against friends, the hugs you get from everyone you know when you're walking around Sawyer Point, and the exhausted relaxation in the grass with your Dixie Chili at the end of the 5 miles. And, I know, I know. Those people they get to cheer along the route and hug you, give you high fives, and tell you how great you're doing -- I know. Bothersome.

This was my sixth year there. And it's just annoying to have to be involved that much, isn't it?

And this year, I'm glad to see so many of my fellow homosexuals agreed with me. See, when I came out and thought "gee, I want to get involved," I did what every self-respecting queer does... get involved as much as possible everywhere I could. And then I started dating, made friends, got laid a couple of times, and became more jaded than my own good.

Maybe I'm not as active as I have been in the past.

But, I would like to whole-heartedly agree with every single homosexual who decided to sleep in the morning of the WALK TO STOP AIDS rather than drag their hung-over asses out of bed, write a $10 check, and walk for about two hours in the interest of supporting their community.

You're right, the whole noxiously cheerful and feel-good-ness of the event was just too much to deal with at 8am. STOP AIDS should really do something about that.
Click here for the rest.
And don't forget to check out my full blog over there, and the rest of the excellent content on the site by clicking on the link below!!!!

No comments: