Friday, September 19, 2008

OHIO/CINNKY: Wind Storm Coverage

Thanks to Cincinnati blog for pointing this out about the lack of local (radio) media coverage. I had power and two TV stations during the storm. Funniest thing said during a newscast: if you are out of power but have access to the internet, check out our website.

Um, you just eliminate 99% of internet users there :-). (Blah blah -- blackberries -- cell phone service was scattered -- battery operated laptops -- my cable/internet is still down, how's yours?)

From Cincinnati.com (of all places...)
Most radio stations relied on their listeners to provide news reports when deadly hurricane-force winds blew through the region Sunday.

Why? Because most stations don't have reporters to cover events.

"With corporate ownership wanting to show bigger and bigger profits, news departments are cut. They're expensive to operate," said John W. Owens, a University of Cincinnati electronic media associate professor.
And btw, I'm still waiting for any kind of major coverage on any major news network about the 700,000 people that went without power this week here in the area. How many total across Ohio???

And, friends over at Cincinnati Blog ... we have quite a few people I have run into in my profession that have said they've had to throw out entire refrigerators full of food. It's not just "some poor person" ... I go to school full time, am on a very limited budget, had just bought my entire food budget (save for $15 emergency dollars) worth of food on Saturday after going two weeks without anything but hot dogs or mashed potatoes in my house... I got very lucky and did not lose power.

Otherwise, I would be at the Freestore, as well.

BTW --> This is the 600th blog on queercincinnati.com... WOW!

No comments: