Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Out of Michigan (& Sean Penn)

An interesting story is developing in Michigan...
A Michigan Court of Appeals decision will allow a Berrien County lesbian couple to take their custody battle to court. Union Pier's Diane Giancaspro sued Union Pier's Lisa Congleton for custody of their three children in 2007, but Berrien County Circuit Judge Mabel Mayfield ruled for Congleton saying the state's 2004 gay marriage ban kept her from enforcing the women's parental rights. Friday the state Court of Appeals reversed that decision. Staff Attorney for the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Project of the ACLU of Michigan Jay Kaplan says the decision should have been a no-brainer.
Interesting legal bits here and there, isn't it? The crux, of course, being hate. And stupidity. And DOMA's. 

I think Sean Penn had something to say about that the other night:


I think of anyone at that ceremony, I would have thought he would be wearing a WhiteKnot. But seriously. It's a pretty good speech. Or, at least, a good comment or two. I can't find Felicity Huffman's from her win for TransAmerica, but that one is equally fabulous and should be heralded.

And he sort of thanked me. Well, not really. But I still am holding out that the "Barry" was me :-).

No comments: