Saturday, February 14, 2009

QUESTION FOR FRIDAY: V-D


I was kind of a slacker this week with the whole Question of the Week thing :-), and it wasn't that good anyways (mental note: never ask questions when you're depressed about the holiday :-)). But here are some of the responses this week to this week's question: Valentine's Day, eh?
  • Kate (also a blogger): Valentines Day- blech
  • Dr_Jared: fuck it. (In all fairness, I invited him to fly down from Alaska to play with us, but he would have none of it... something about the cost of a plane ticket or some silliness :-))
  • JereKeys (also a blogger): V-Day? Are you sure you don't mean Pink Triangle Day? http://www.pinktriangleday.com/
  • Jeff_Dalton (via the blog):I asked my Love one time, "why don't you ever get me anything for Valentine's Day." His response was, "I show you every day how much I love you. I don't need a made up Hallmark Holiday to prove it." I never asked for a box of candy again.

    Okay so maybe I asked him to pick me a box the day after when candy was discounted 50%.
I don't have much to say more than what I have already implied: I hate this fucking holiday. It's so freakin' stupid. And annoying. And pisses those of us not-dating folks off. Grrrrrrrrr. Do you see how angry I am? And bitter?

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

That's how angry and bitter I am. 

*deep breath* I'm sure I would have a completely different opinion were I not single, or were I even sleeping with someone today, or ever on Valentine's Day. But I'm not, and haven't ever. And that's ok. I'm going to be fine, and I have a fabulous night out planned with fabulous people, and I will not express my bitterness anymore.

Well, maybe a little more by using the story of Valentine's Day in a sarcastic manner to share my frustrations:
Under the rule of Emperor Claudius II Rome was involved in many bloody and unpopular campaigns. Claudius the Cruel was having a difficult time getting soldiers to join his military leagues. He believed that the reason was that roman men did not want to leave their loves or families. As a result, Claudius cancelled all marriages and engagements in Rome. The good Saint Valentine was a priest at Rome in the days of Claudius II. He and Saint Marius aided the Christian martyrs and secretly married couples, and for this kind deed Saint Valentine was apprehended and dragged before the Prefect of Rome, who condemned him to be beaten to death with clubs and to have his head cut off. He suffered martyrdom on the 14th day of February, about the year 270. At that time it was the custom in Rome, a very ancient custom, indeed, to celebrate in the month of February the Lupercalia, feasts in honour of a heathen god. On these occasions, amidst a variety of pagan ceremonies, the names of young women were placed in a box, from which they were drawn by the men as chance directed.
(from here)
So, like all great holidays, it's all about people getting killed. And wife swapping. That would explain all the hearts. And the VD.

To all those sharing this day with someone they love: congratulations, and I hope it was wonderful for you. But, like always, I'm being a complete bitch about other people's happiness. But you should be used to that by now.

No comments: