Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Gay Marriage Anecdote

So we have an African (from Nigeria) doctor here in the ED -- totally cool, totally liberal -- but tonight, I was wearing my WhiteKnot, and he asked me to explain it. He responded:

"I don't get it; do you want the legal rights or marriage? I mean, if you just want the rights, then why even bother with marriage if that's what everyone is so upset about."

Towhit I responded: "Practically speaking, it makes sense to put everyone into marriage as its an existing institution and all the special rights are set up under the phrase marriage, not civil union or domestic partner. It just makes more sense to have one institution rather than two things doing the same thing."

He thought about it for a moment. "Oh. I guess that makes sense."

"And would you and your wife choose the term civil union over marriage?"

He laughed. "Hell no! That's a downgrade!" He stopped, very suddenly, and I saw it. "Oooooo..."

I guess that's one of my three.

There's got to be a lesson in here somewhere.

Programming note: I'm also eliminating the post label "GAY STUFF" -- DUH.

No comments: