Thursday, July 10, 2008

CINCY GAY SCENE: Camp Equality

Why is there an HRC representative staying in my house (link to the first blog about it)? The upcoming Camp Equality.

When Juliet over at Juliet & Juliette emailed me a few weeks ago with a forward about this from the HRC -- "You wanna go? I'll pay!" -- I expected, like most things she and I planned out, we would talk about it and it would fall to the side lines (I love you, LV, but you and I know it's true! :-)). I was vaguely interested, but it had a steep price -- $35.

That money is for other things. Like alcohol.

Besides, I knew what this would be: a rehash of campaign skills that we got 2 years ago with the NGLTF (and two years before that, and two years before that). The HRC and the NGLTF and those large organizations only really care about us when A) it's an election year, or B) something is on the ballot. Much like most of the country.

However, we said we would talk about it and we left it there.

Now I'm hosting the HRC in my house (link to the second blog about it)(this week's column is about this experience, btw, so watch for it on Monday morning).

Am I going to go? Probably not, though there is an excellent seminar, I understand, on the use of blogging in campaigns. I may go for that and that alone. However, the HRC boy has told me that it's going to be huge -- he has upwards of 40+ people registered to attend! That's fantastic! So, if you are looking for something to do, and you have never been involved in a campaign, I'll say this: this may be for you.

Am I saying that you should bend your will to the wishes of the HRC? No.

Am I saying that I'm particularly happy that it's not even the HRC teaching, but another organization by the name of Grassroots Solutions? No.

What I'm saying is that there is value in learning, and maybe there is value, if you've never been involved before, to start learning here. At the very least, I believe you may meet some cool queers from around town.

Click the link below if interested; it's not $35. I understand that you can pay as little as $5 and you get a two-for-one, as a membership with HRC is included in the price.



And for everyone who will call me a hypocrite for posting this... I'm not. His heart is in the right place, and I'm not about to screw over someone I consider a friend, especially when there may be something there for someone to learn.

And, if you thought about it, it's a great opportunity to get people involved in your own local stuff.

No comments: