Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fairfax High School Prom Queen

...is a queen.

Sergio Garcia began his campaign to be prom queen as a sort-of joke, but it took on a seriousness and realness to it as the school began talking about gender and gender roles. In the end, he won. A compilation of quotes from the LA Times article, that treats the issue really well, actually:
  • Before prom, on running: I will be wearing a suit, but don't be fooled, deep down inside, I am a queen!From his speech: At one time, prom may have been a big popularity contest where the best-looking guy or girl were crowned king and queen. Things have changed and it's no longer just about who has the most friends or who wears the coolest clothes. Sure, I'm not your typical prom queen candidate. There's more to me than meets the eye.
  • On winning: I felt invincible.
  • On gender and what it means to be queen: I didn't really know if the school approved. I thought 'Why can't I do it?' I see myself as a boy with a different personality. . . . I don't wish to be a girl; I just wish to be myself.
I just have one thing to say, Mr. Garcia: You-bettah-work. You may have felt invincible, as one person who beat out all those other women for the crown, but you have made, no doubt, untold numbers of high school queens feel the same... and feel like they, too, can go for their own crown. I wonder who his King was and whether or not they shared a dance afterwards?

Kinda makes me wish I'd thought of this.

No comments: