Sunday, June 7, 2009

Two Interesting Op-Ed Pieces on Marriage

Just kind of barely scouring the interweb today -- I've been reading a, gasp, book all day long -- and came across two interesting opinion pieces that are worth a read.

The first comes from Off the Markley who talks about the unspoken gay marriage opponents, those LGBTQ individuals who don't actually support marriage equality for whatever personal or political reasons abound. A selection:
And somewhere else in Chicago there is a woman named Pam with her fingers crossed that the Christian Right comes riding into town just in time to save the day.

"Sure, marriage!" she tells her partner Rachel with a big pained smile stretching her face apart. "I'd so love to... um... marry you! You know, on account of our...uh...love, and certainly not because you're like slammin' hot or anything. I mean, what kind of psychopath would spend eight months dating someone strictly for the sex? Oh boy, I sure hope these bigots don't go and ban gay marriage with a constitutional amendment just in the nick of time!"
The second from the Philadelphia Inquirer, from a lesbian who doesn't think marriage is for her or her partner. And your selection:
In this day and age, plenty of other people feel the same way as I do, and are open to very different models of partnership. Next month, I'm participating (not for the first time) in a commitment ceremony involving three people. I'm looking forward to the day when we can do that kind of thing in public, and be honored for it.

But just because I don't want to play the game doesn't mean that no one else should. I have no doubt that gay marriage will be legalized on a federal level within the next five years, just because human evolution is about becoming more and more accepting of differences. The trend to open-mindedness, and the self-empowerment that goes with that, is well under way, worldwide. Even the most reactionary forces have not been able to do more than slow it down.

So if you are working to have gay marriage accepted, go for it! I'll cheer loudly from the sidelines. And I hope that you will do me the same favor as I go for the gold.
I had a friend who supported same-sex marriage because it would destroy the typical constructs of marriage, which she viewed as problematic and undermining to women and men. Misogynistic, I think, was her favorite word to describe the institution. 

Just some interesting little thought exercises this evening for you. 

No comments: