Thursday, September 11, 2008

POP CULTURE: Next Musical Movie???

Since we now hear that the Rocky Horror Picture Show is due for a rebirth, and a musical Hairspray 2 is on its way, my question to all of you: What musical would you like to see rebirthed as a musical movie... and what else is in the works that you know about???

My count over the last 10-12 years is:
Evita
Hairspray
Dreamgirls
Chicago
Sweeny Todd
Madame Butterfly
Phantom of the Opera
The Producers
Rent
Mamma Mia!

Am I missing any?

Oh, and I was totally thinking that they shoudl remake the Legally Blonde movie in the musical form -- but how post-modern would it be if there was a movie made into a musical made into a movie musical? Weird.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

... how post-modern would it be if there was a movie made into a musical made into a movie musical?

You mean like Hairspray? ;)

Barry Floore said...

So you got the joke. How POMO is it that it is a movie, made into a musical, made into a movie musical, made into a movie musical sequel???

Whoa. Did I just blow your mind.

Kelly said...

That's nothing. I'm still holding out for Hairspray 2: The Movie: The Video Game: The NEW Broadway Musical!: The Movie.

Or just Hairspray: The Flamethrower.

Unknown said...

Hairspray: The Flamethrower...

Hm, is that the one where they throw Zac Effron like the Scots do those big logs???

Get it... throwing the flame.

LOL.

I'm so clever.

Jere Keys said...

Technically, I think Legally Blonde would be a novel turned into movie turned into musical turned into MTV special turned into reality show turned into movie-musical.

Regardless, my vote goes to Xanadu as the next movie musical.

Barry Floore said...

jere. u just blew my mind.