Saturday, April 25, 2009

MappingOurRights.org


Wolfie over at Back2Stonewall sent this to me via email...

A new website has popped up: MappingOurRights.org. Their stated purpose:
The seeds for this map were planted during discussions about the meaning of the Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade to women of color at a spring 2005 meeting of the SisterSong Collective. Members discussed how a constitutional “right to choose” does not ensure discrimination-free access to health-care services. The privacy or “choice” arguments in Roe v. Wade carry little meaning for those whose options are restricted by race, gender, sexuality or income. Roe v. Wade simply does not guarantee a full range of sexual and reproductive rights for everyone.
Let me clarify: I am fiercely pro-choice. First, as a gay man, I will probably never be put into a place where I have to make this decision for people. Second, your health decisions... including whether or not to have a baby and/or anything related to reproduction... are extraordinarily personal and no one else's business. Third, it blows my mind that so many men can be so anti-choice and run "pro-life" organizations. (In my snarkier states, I would say... wouldn't you think they would be more willing to allow a woman's right to choose. Kinda gets some of them off the hook.)

More importantly, the site tracks other markers that directly affect me as a homosexual... for example, the status of equal marriage, hate crime statutes, and employment anti-discrimination laws. 

Where does the tristate fall?
  • Ohio - 47 
  • Indiana - 44
  • Kentucky -- 51
Yes, kids. Kentucky comes in at a whopping 51, whereas Alabama clocks in at a measly 27, Texas at 33, and South Carolina at 29. Mississippi is down there with us, btw, at 45. 

Remarkably, Massachusetts and California are not numbers one and two. Top five states in regards to their laws around sexual and reproductive rights are:
  1. New Mexico
  2. Washington State
  3. New Hampshire
  4. (Tie for #5) Vermont, Hawai'i, and Oregon
I'll admit, I have a little problem understanding some of their rubric (in terms of the "penalty" points), but it's an interesting look over-all. 

No comments: