Friday, March 14, 2008

POLITICS: Immigration

And while I'm on the subject of things I don't understand: I don't get the immigration "problem."

What problem???

Someone explained this one to me in relation to my chosen profession -- "But, they are burdening (enter government sponsored healthcare program -- Medicaid/Medicare/Hamilton County Discount/etc.) by not paying into it and then expecting something in return."

A) Most of the people are actually paying into it -- there are still taxes being paid when they "cross the border" and work in hotels, fast food joints, etc. or any other menial job that we feel liek they should have.

B) Um. There are a LOT of people who are not working and taking advantage of those programs. And they aren't all old or disabled, folks. I work in an ER and get to ask really personal questions about finance/jobs/etc. Trust me, some of them are 22 years old... no job... a lot of time, not necessarily even with children.... perfectly healthy... reaping the benefits.

In continuation of the apparent racist tone I'm taking these days... are our xenophobia and race guilt so great that we found a convenient red herring for an attack on poor (black) folk?

Immigration is a red herring for people displeasure with the economy. . .

. . . and if it weren't, you'd be working in a hotel or fast food joint and starting a union for higher pay.

No comments: