Friday, April 10, 2009

Religious Exemptions

In an otherwise cool article entitled "Faith Groups Increasingly Losing Legal Battles Over Gay Rights," an interesting line popped out at me:
Gay rights groups said they do not object to making faith groups' religious jobs exempt from the discrimination laws but that offering services to the public is different.
Hrm. Religious exemptions are lines that exempt religious institutions/organizations/etc. from honoring anti-discrimination or marriage laws based on their religious traditions.

Well, hrm, I think, hrm...* I mean, I don't know. I guess I need to learn more about how important and how true these religious arguments can be, in the face of generations of 100% true feelings towards minorities.

*Note: Literally the first things that popped up on Google when I searched.

No comments: