Saturday, February 16, 2008

GAY STUFF: Two bits found quickly

I found two things on the web that I'm surprised had not yet passed my ears:

1) Milestone for Equality
From Cleveland.com, reported by Jeff Coryell, Governor Ted Strickland (D-OH) appointed the state's first openly LGBT judge -- Mary Wiseman, a former city commissioner of the city of Dayton, who fills the spot of the retiring Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge John Kessler. She is up for election this year, and I hope that she wins :-). It's amazing ... I'm on a lot of listservs and I never heard about this.

2) Gay Ohio History Initiative
I can't quite figure this one out, as there's not a lot of content on the site. But it seems rather... interesting. I'm thinking of contacting them and seeing what they have so far. Outlook Weekly and the Ohio Historical Society are involved. They have a special endowment too... which, I'm sure, got a lot of giggles when they posted that on the web for the first time. The following is a collection of seeming missions they have on the website:
The purpose of the Gay Ohio History Initiative is to collect, archive and curate the history and culture of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender [GLBT] community in Ohio...We want to share LGBT culture and history with all Ohioans, to create opportunities for understanding of both the past and what is hoped for in the future...


No, really. They seem, well, at least truthful in their intent. I signed up for their listserv, so we'll see what comes through, yes? I am always interested on learning about special endowments.

But this is neat, Columbus Pride from 1982 (the year I was born) on their website -- be warned, it's 1.5 hours long :-):

No comments: