Thursday, October 16, 2008

LGBT HISTORY: A History of the Baths


This is posted specifically for Michi...

Darling, I don't know how accurate this website is, but it gives an interesting overview of the history of bathhouses as a place for gay men to meet and have sex.

For all who don't know, Michi is in grad school at the University of Amsterdam studying the culture of bathhouses ... and is a huge supporter of expanding them further than they are here in the states. I can't say I disagree with her, specifically. (She is also one of the most avid readers of this site.)

More sex is OK with me.*

For those who don't "get" the picture above, the Club brand bathhouse is still around and you may or may not have found me in Club Columbus and/or Club Indianapolis in the last couple of years. That particular flyer is from the 1970s in San Francisco.

Anyways, I thought it was neat.

*As an HIV advocate, I felt it was my duty to include "so long as it was safe," so leaving that little bit out actually makes me shudder a bit. In reality, we should assume that all sex should be safe. I think it's a sign of the times that we still have to remind ourselves that... a condom is important.

1 comment:

Michi said...

Thanks for the shout out darling, you know me: public sexing it up,- theoretically (ha!)

Fantastic article on this question: Allan Berube "The History of Gay Bathhouses" It appears in a couple of collections, maybe you can find it online (journal of homosexuality)?

One of the collections is called Gay Bathhouses and Public Health Policy-- thought that might be extra interesting for you (5 years dated).

still miss you so much,
skype date soon.