Monday, August 25, 2008

GAY STUFF: Addenda to Favorite LGBT Movies

So the recent OUT magazine had a list of the grosses of "gay-themed" movies (or movies with gay characters), and I wanted to comment on a few.

Movies that most definitely should have been on my favorite list...
1) Transamerica(2005) -- Most definitely one of the best movies of all time. Felicity Huffman got it right and it was amazing. The subject was done perfectly, and it was singularly one of the most beautiful movies ever put together.

2) Wonder Boys (2000) -- I bought this off a clearance rack because "oh, it looks cute." And, despite any overt gay themes, Robert Downey Jr's gay sexual predation was just beautifully done. The trannie at the beginning with the tuba was freakin' hilarious too.

3) History Boys (2006) -- Again, bought it off of a clearance rack at Tim's squeal that "OH MY GOD THIS IS SUCH A GREAT PLAY." It also comes off real well as a movie, and the cast is stellar and charming. It also introduced to me his hotness, Dominic Cooper. PS -- New Stage Collective is putting this on this season.

4) Shortbus (2006) -- The Goober brought this one over. It is most definitely not safe for children, but is an interesting exploration into queer sexuality and sexualities. It ends ... differently, I think, than expected and it has enough interesting commentary on orgasm and sex and love between people to keep you interested.

Movies that would not have ended up on my list but deserve comment...
1) I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (2007) -- Lame, lame, lame, lame. I hate Adam Sandler, and I think this movie was bullshit even if they did wrap it up in a nice politically correct package near the end.

2) Blades of Glory(2007) -- I lost a lot of respect for the magazine when I saw this listed as a gay movie. Also, lost a lot of respect for Hollywood that this is only one of four movies from 2007 they could identify as having an overt gay theme.

3) Brokeback Mountain (2005) -- The Brokeback revolution failed, and the movie moves slowly. It was OK as an art piece, but was mostly disappointing as an entertaining movie.

4) The Family Stone(2005) -- I don't view this as gay at all save for the incidental gay couple... but bravo to the creators for making theirs the healthiest relationship in the movie.

5) Happy Endings (2005) -- I recommend this to my friends to watch because it's just downright funny. "When you're a gay man and your urologist says 'yea, I choose you,' you just can't be insulted" -- it's a funny, healthy gay movie.

6) Gay Sex in the '70s (2005) -- Saw it at Adonis as part of OutReels... this is for anyone who wishes they had been alive during the sexual revolution of the 70s and that the whole pesky AIDS thing never showed up.

7) Kinsey (2004) -- It's worth a view, though with a grain of salt. It actually turns into a more interesting commentary on the ineffectiveness of Kinsey's method and his own questioning of sexuality than anything at all.

8) Saved! (2004) -- I can't believe they're turning this into a Broadway musical. Can't they leave well enough alone? Besides, the song Rock Me Sexy Jesusis already taken.

9) Eating Out(2004) -- The Goober and I watched this this weekend. The only reason anyone watches it is for the full frontal nudity. I think this is far more "typical" of a gay movie than even Trick.

10) Under the Tuscan Sun(2003) -- I wonder if, when Sandra Oh and Kate Walsh met on the set of Grey's Anatomy, did they say "we were lesbian lovers before." My mommy let me borrow this one and I still have it.

11) Mambo Italiano (2003) -- Another bargain bin purchase. It's cute, it's sweet, and it's kind of like Big Fat Greek Wedding but gay and Italian.

12) Far From Heaven (2002) -- Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad movie. I remember coming out and going "this isn't what we thought we were going to see at all."

13) The Rules of Attraction (2002) -- I really like this movie, and I don't know why. I really liked the cast -- Sannyn Sossamon really is a great and beautiful actress, and you can't deny how beautiful Ian Somerholder is. And James Van Der Beek actually proves he may have some talent. It's bizarre, but fun to watch.

14) Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001) -- Two words: creepy backstory. Thanks, end of story.

And, of course, things I want to see on this list:

Sordid Lives
Yossi and Jagger
Ethan Mao (I actually own it but never watched it...)
Party Monster
At Home at the End of the World (also own it)
Imagine Me and You
The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Greene (I love the comic)
Capote (also own...)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Running with Scissors

And where is Y Tu Mama Tambien or Infamous on this list???

Also not on this list but worth a quick note...

Stonewall (1995) -- Yet another bargain bin movie, before they even tried to make independent movies look nice. It's two people's stories up to the Stonewall rebellion. And there's some unnessary partial nudity in it, which is always fun with indies. My favorite part is the song "Mine eyes have seen the suff'rin' of the Negroes and the Jews..." LOL I watch it regularly, but it appears to be only on VHS in the world.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I don't know if I consider Saved! a gay movie but I think it would be on my 'Top 10' list of movies I watch over and over again.

BTW, ABC Family is showing Sound of Music on Saturday and Sunday evening. Just to let you know. :)

Unknown said...

I'm there. Well, here. On my couch.