Friday, August 15, 2008

GAY STUFF: Prop 8 in California


I haven't talked much about it, but I watned to clarify that this blog is decidedly anti-Proposition 8 in California.

Proposition 8 is a vote that is going on the November ballot that, if it succeeds, will stop equal marriage in California (recently approved by the Supreme Court of that state). There's lots of great stuff going on out there about this, including massive donations for and against it.

It's funny because I was reading stuff today and, for some reason, I had never quite connected why this was such a big deal. Duh:

If Proposition 8, it will be voters uniformly deciding that gay marriage is OK

Which is no small feat.

So we'll be adding Equality California's California Ripple Effect Blog to the blogroll to keep updated and I'm working on finding an image that y'all can post on your site.

For now, this is all I have, and I don't think it's all that great:



(All images from the Equality California website)

Some newsstories about it from the past few weeks:

Attempt to change the language fails, leaving in the language that voting yes "eliminates the right of same-sex people to marry."

The Democratic National Committee gives $25,000 to beat Prop 8. (ie, my party putting their money where their mouth is)

The opposition starts working -- creation of ProtectMarriage.com.

Even if Prop 8 passes, existing gay marriages would still be legal -- opening the door for possible future challenges.

Anyways, we'll keep watching!!!

No comments: