Thursday, March 26, 2009

HRC's Position on an Inclusive ENDA

Photobucket

Thanks to PamsHouseBlend...

HRC has changed its policy on supporting an inclusive ENDA -- one that protects gender identity and expression for the whole country. 

Their new policy:
It's the policy of HRC that the organization will only support an inclusive ENDA. In 2007 House leadership informed us that there were insufficient votes to pass an inclusive bill, so they decided to vote on a sexual orientation only bill. We made a one time exception to our policy in 2007 because we strongly believed that supporting this vote would do more to advance inclusive legislation. We will not support such a strategy again. We look forward to Congress sending President Obama a fully inclusive ENDA for his signature.
I've oscillated on this point; my initial statements drew a lot of criticism. I was one of the "support it slowly" argument-makers -- you know, "let's get this now and work on other things later." Right. I have since changed my mind, clearly. I am now a inclusive-only ENDA supporter.

I'll let you read Pam's above linked article and make decisions for yourself on the situation and the change in policy.

No comments: