Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Vermont Same-Sex Marriage to be Veto'd


From the Associated Press:
Gov. Jim Douglas said Wednesday he will veto a gay-marriage proposal if it passes the Legislature, the first time he has signaled such an intent before final legislative action on a bill.

Speaking at an afternoon news conference, the Republican governor said that he thought Vermont's first-in-the-nation civil unions law, passed in 2000, provided sufficient rights to same-sex couples and that he believed "marriage should remain between a man and woman."

"For those reasons and because I believe that by removing any uncertainty about my position we can move more quickly beyond this debate, I am announcing that I intend to veto this legislation when it reaches my desk," he proclaimed.

For those following: it passed the Senate this week and is expected to pass the House, as well. He's claiming that the economy is more important right now. Um, what?

No comments: