Thursday, January 15, 2009

DADT: Why is it taking so long?


Img thanks to 3BlueDudes

I don't get it.

Again, we are met with the same B/S: that we are going to have to wait for the end of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Apparently, there are some real concerns over whether or not the beginning of the Obama presidency will be like the beginning of the Clinton presidency ... a firestorm over the homosexuals and their right to serve their country, leaving our new president in a political blunder.

I get that. What I don't get is this: it's just a piece of paper. The right to serve is created by a simple piece of paper with a signature. If you're concerned about the pomp and ceremony taking up too much time, then why, oh why, not just sign it and not make a hooplah about it? That is, just say "It was overdue, silly that we didn't do this sooner, let's get onto bigger things."

Why, again, are we still waiting?

Jesus, and people thought Rick Warren was a sign of the apocalypse. Let's balance this out... preacher representing a huge congregation and a huge denomination, or the ongoing delay of civil rights.

I'm so glad the blogosphere cares as much about this.

3 comments:

Wonder Man said...

I am sure it will happen, but we need to be patient. Plus do we really know how to end a policy. You can say 'stop this', but without the proper shut down procedures, it could be chaos. I hoping for the best

Barry Floore said...

I think I'm more upset about the whole no one caring about it issue, rather than that it's happening.

I completely understand the reasons. It's a political maelstrom waiting to happen, but it is craziness that no one is talking more about this.

Anonymous said...

Folks are talking about this and believe things are happening, it is not about patient I can assure you DADT will be repealed. Check out www.sldn.org.